Oncology is the branch of medicine that deals with prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer. Cancer is a group of diseases which involves abnormal cell growth lacking cell differentiation, about 100 types of cancer can affect humans.
A large number of anti-cancer drugs are already on the market and are considered as the life-saving drugs. Due to the enormous demand for Oncology products in the markets, the oncology pharma companies in India are committed to manufacturing these drugs with the better risk-benefit ratio.
The Oncology products act by causing the death of cancerous cells, but collateral damage to normal cells is also caused, so to avoid damage to normal cells search for better anti-cancer drugs with promising safety and efficacy is still progressing.
Existing anti-cancer drugs:
- Vinblastine sulfate
- Doxorubicin, etc.
New FDA approved anti-cancer drugs in 2017:
- Telotristat ethyl by Lexicon Pharmaceuticals got approval in February.
- Avelumab by EMD Serono/Pfizer got approval in March.
- Niraparib by Tesaro approved March.
- Ribociclib of Novartis approved in March.
- Brigatinib by Ariad Pharmaceuticals approved in April.
- Midostaurin of Novartis got approval in April.
- Durvalumab developed by AstraZeneca approved in May.
- Neratinib of Puma Biotech got approved July.
- Inotuzumab ozogamicin developed by Pfizer approved in August.
- Enasidenib by Celgene got approval August.
- Tisagenlecleucel by Novartis approved in August.
- Copanlisib by Bayer approved in September.
- Abemaciclib by Eli Lilly approved in September.
- Axicabtagene ciloleucel by Kite Pharmaceuticals got approval in October.
- Acalabrutinib by Acerta Pharmaceuticals got approval in November.