Commenced from Wuhan, China, in December 2019, the current outbreak of a new strain of coronavirus has jolted the whole world. With many new and 118,000 confirmed cases, COVID-19 is the third recorded spillover in only two decades.
In this article, we’ll cover the following things:
- 1. Status of COVID-19 around the world
- 2. Status of COVID-19 in India
- 3. What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- 4. What is the mode of spread of COVID-19?
- 5. What are the preventive measures to counter the COVID-19 spread?
Status of COVID-19 around the world
In the last two weeks, the count of COVID-19 cases outside China has raised by 13-fold and the number of affected nations has tripled. That is why, World Health Organization has declared the COVID-19 a pandemic.
Status of COVID-19 in India
India also is not untouched from the detrimental effects of COVID-19. Till date, India records 2 deaths due to this viral disease, whereas, 98 patients are under medical assitance and are slowly recovering.
To prevent the prompt spread of coronavirus, the Indian government took the decision to quarantine itself from the rest of the world until April 15. Whole world is fighting to combat this outbreak. Healthcare organizations introduce certain preventive measures to avoid the transmission of this virus. However, only adopting preventive measures is not enough, everyone should also be aware of the symptoms and the modes of spreading of COVID-19 as to be aware and attentive.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Major Symptoms Include:
3. Shortness of breath
- 1. Head and body ache
- 2. Sore throat
- 3. Nasal congestion
- 4. Runny nose
- 5. Diarrhea
These symptoms might be similar to what we know as common viral infections; flu or cold. Therefore, having these symptoms is not the surety that someone is suffering from COVID-19. As discovered, incubation period (the time between individuals get affected and show symptoms) is from 2 to 14 days. In severe COVID-19 cases, symptoms may progress to cause pneumonia and multiple organ failure, eventually leading to death. So, if anyone is suffering from these symptoms and have doubt of being caught with COVID-19, must visit nearest health center as soon as possible.
What is the mode of spread of COVID-19?
To prevent COVID-19, knowledge of its modes of transmission is very crucial. This viral disease spread with nose or mouth droplets via air or surfaces we touch. Other people get this disease, when they were in close contact with the affected person (less than 6 feet). Further, if they are touching their mouth, nose or eyes after coming in contact with infected droplets.
What are the preventive measures to counter the COVID-19 spread?
Therefore, it is very essential to follow all preventive measures to stop the spread of coronavirus. These measures are as follow –
Preventive measures for the general population
- 1. Avoid close contact with people who are sick, keep a distance of at least 6 feet.
- 2. Try to cover your mouth with disposable surgical or N95 mask and hands with gloves while travelling or going to public places.
- 3. Wash your hands with a soap or hand wash for about 20 seconds, after being at public places.
- 4. Use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- 5. Make sure to sanitize your cell phone as well.
- 6. Avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes.
- 7. Avoid sharing towel, toothbrushes, tableware, bed sheet, and other personal items with others.
- 8. Avoid contact with patient’s secretions or discharges, especially oral and respiratory.
Preventive measures for suspected patients with COVID-19
- 1. Stay home if feeling sick.
- 2. Cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing, discard used tissue and immediately wash hands afterwards.
- 3. Spray disinfectant (contains at least 70% alcohol) regularly on surfaces of tables, doorknobs, handles, desks, countertops, faucets, light switches, keyboards, toilets, and sinks.
- 4. All the waste should be discarded in closed garbage bags and disposed quickly.
- 5. Wash contaminated clothes, bed sheets, towels as soon as possible with hot water and a strong detergent.
- 6. Avoid public transportation to the hospital, use an ambulance or private vehicle.
- 7. The vehicle used to carry patients should be cleaned and disinfected with 500 mg/L chlorine-containing disinfectant and windows should be opened for ventilation.
Preventive measures for travellers
- 1. International visitors should take all the above-mentioned precautions while entering and leaving the affected place.
- 2. Wear appropriate coughing etiquette.
- 3. Avoid close contact with dead or live farming animals, bats or other wild animals.
- 4. Make sure to wash or sanitize hands after exchanging notes or other things with others.
- 5. Avoid unnecessary travelling.
Some important notes:
How to prepare disinfectant at home?
Use 5 tablespoons or 1/3rd cup of bleach per gallon water or 4 teaspoon bleach per quart of water to prepare disinfectant.
How to sanitize phones or laptops and other electronics?
- Use wipes with 70% alcohol to clean your electronics.
- Else clear phone with simple microfiber cloth by dip it into soap solution or in disinfectant.
To prevent COVID-19, it is very important that everyone should understand the importance to adopt these preventive measures.
Moreover, Healthcare professionals are at the highest risk of getting COVID-19 infection as they are in close contact with the coronavirus patients. Therefore, it is important to adopt the necessary preventive measures to ensure the safety of healthcare workers.
PPE Kit or Personal Protective Equipment kit are specially designed to protect the healthcare community settings by reducing the exposure to the infectious agent.
So, just follow these instructions and help to knock down the novel coronavirus disease 2019. Let’s unite against this pandemic and get rid from it together!